Thursdays, 6:30pm – 9:00pm. If you are interested in Finding out more about the Foundation Program call 828-668-2241 or email email@example.com
at 1070 Tunnel Road, Bldg 2, Unit 20 (Behind Pomodoro’s), Asheville NC 28805
with Buddhist Teacher, Sharon Lovich
What is the Foundation Program?
The Foundation Program (FP) provides students with an opportunity to advance their understanding and practice of Buddha’s teachings through systematic study and meditation on the essential teachings of Mahayana Buddhism. Foundation Program students study the following five subjects based on Buddha’s Sutra teachings and their corresponding commentaries by our teacher, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
- The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, or Kadam Lamrim, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
- Training the Mind, or Kadam Lojong, based on two commentaries, The New Eight Steps to Happiness and Universal Compassion
- The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary The New Heart of Wisdom
- Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
- Types of Mind, based on the commentary How to Understand the Mind
The Benefits of the Foundation Program
Students in the FP have an opportunity to follow the same training followed by spiritual practitioners for generations, but without having to abandon their modern lifestyle. Over time, students in FP find that their minds change for the better in significant ways: through taking Buddha’s teachings as personal advice and striving to put them into practice in daily life, they gain authentic spiritual experience, solve their daily problems, improve their relationships at work and at home, and develop a good heart. * Read the benefits of the Foundation Program as presented by NKT founder, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, in England in 1990.
The Commitments of the Foundation Program
Our General Program classes are offered on a drop-in basis and there are no requirements for attending. As a more structured program of study, the FP does require students to make some basic commitments:
- Students keep the intention to attend every class during the FP term (terms are August through late December and late January through June), and try not to miss more than two classes per term
- Students read ahead and memorize the essential points of the text
- Students memorize the root text and/or the condensed meaning of the text
- Students take one exam per year to check their understanding of what they have studied
- Students attend at least one group meditation / chanted prayer session per week (group meditations are also scheduled at various times)
- Students pay a $60 per month fee (including during months when FP is not in session)
$60 per month (including during months when FP is not in session.
Click here to see all the perks of your “Supporting Member” membership.
The 2018 Spring term begins Thursday, January 4. You’re welcome to try 2 classes at no cost and no commitment to see if you’re interested in the program. (Ongoing Open Enrollment )
FP BOOK: How To Understand the Mind: The Nature and Power of the Mind.
‘We often say, “My Mind, my mind”, but if someone were to ask us, “What is your mind”, we would have no correct answer. This is because we do not understand the nature and function of the mind correctly.’
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
This book offers us deep insight into our mind, and shows how an understanding of its nature and functions can be used practically in everyday experience to improve our lives.
The Foundation Program is a profound and practical way to deepen your experience and practice of these meaningful teachings.